History of the LIbrary
The first library in Jefferson was started in the 1800’s by a young man named Abner Davis and was located in a building on the Mardin Farm, next door to the present location. Lucy Rogers made the first official donation to the library and because of her interest Mr. Davis named the original library The Lucy Rogers Library in her honor.
When the No. 2 schoolhouse on Route 115A was replaced in the early 1900’s Mr. Davis prevailed on the town to convert the building into a library. The building was moved from a site near the current Hicks Logging office to its present location on Route 2. Mr. Davis served as librarian for many years and as a trustee until his death.
In 1976 the shed attached to the library was renovated into a museum for the Historical Society. A few years later the museum moved into the former United Methodist Church and the space was converted into a children’s room.
The large bell on the front lawn had hung in the Jefferson Hill School. When the school was torn down in the spring of 1969 the bell was salvaged and relocated to the library in 1976.
in 2022 the library moved into our new home in the Jefferson Community Center. Although the old space was historic and beautiful , the lack of running water, space and inaccesibility were becoming an issue. The new space is completely renovated and accessible to everyone. The reconstruction, shelving and furntiure for our new space was funded by the library capital reserve fund, Friends of the Library, and Donor with Love.. Shortly after the move the anncouncement was made that our name has changed to the Marc A. Hurzerler M.D. Library.
Fitz Weatherbee did a nice little video about our old library in 2016.